Trepat is a red grape variety grown primarily in the Conca de Barberà and Costers del Segre regions of Catalonia, Spain, and is used to produce fruity, light-bodied red wines that are often enjoyed as young wines, such as our sparkling canned Rosé Burbujitas!
Trepat grapes have a thin skin and low tannins and often exhibit notes of red fruits, such as cherries and raspberries, with a hint of spice. Delicious!
So let’s dig a little into their agronomic and enological characteristics!
– Ripening: Trepat grapes are medium to late ripening, typically ripening in the first half of October.
– Yield: This type of grape has moderate to high yields, and the vines are vigorous and productive.
– Disease resistance: The variety is moderately resistant to fungal diseases, such as powdery mildew and botrytis.
– Soil requirements: Trepat does best in calcareous soils, but can also grow in sandy or clay soils.
– Climate requirements: grapes thrive in a Mediterranean climate with warm summers and mild winters.
– Color and aroma: Produces wines that are light to medium-bodied and have a bright ruby color. The wine is known for its red fruit aromas, such as raspberry and strawberry.
– Acidity: Trepat has high levels of acidity, making it ideal for making sparkling and rosé wines.
– Tannins: The grapes have low levels of tannins, which contributes to the smoothness and drinkability of the wine.
– Alcohol content: The alcohol content of Trepat wines is usually low to medium, ranging from 11% to 13% ABV.
– Aging: The wines are generally intended to be consumed young, within 2-3 years after harvest. However, some producers are experimenting with aging the wine in oak barrels to add complexity and depth to the wine.
When trepat is made as rosé, a remarkable, light, fresh and fruity, raspberry pink, clean and luminous wine is obtained. In our sparkling Burbujitas Rosé it obtains a bright color and a delicate salmon tone. A lively, floral, floral aroma with hints of red fruit and a soft, light and silky flavor. A color, aroma and taste on the palate that make it unique.
Did you know all these curiosities of the trepat grape? If you want to take delight in the properties of this grape, open your sparkling Zeena Burbujitas Rosé and enjoy. Cheers!